« Home | Layering » | What's so great about happiness? » | Science! » | Good » | Technical difficulties » | Harder than gestures » | I gave two tries » | "demon duck of doom" » | I can't remember » | Town full of family » 

Monday, July 17, 2006 

First day of my life

Not only does today find us with access to a new A Touching Display (wherein Rachel Stevens and Burial are juxtaposed not just out of sheer perversity I swear), but Stylus' top 100 music videos of all time. The first 20 are up today, including Bright Eyes' "First Day Of My Life", with a blurb by yours truly. I did a number of blurbs, and I'm more than a little pleased that only one of them falls into the bottom 20.

A bit overdue, I know, but I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed last week's A Touching Display. I love that dry, expansive, deserty sound, and you capture that pretty much perfectly. I have this fantasy where if I should ever convince someone to give me a budget to record an album, I'll audition prospective producers by creating a cd of tracks that have that brittle, open sound you went for there, and tell them they've got to help me make a record that sounds like that. Until this point, I only had Wilco's "Radio Cure," Calexico's "Quattro" and Califone's "Two Sisters Drunk On Each Other." Now, thanks to you, I have a bunch of other tracks to add to my mix. Especially the Oneida and Low. I'll give you a shout out in the liner notes :)

(The rest of the plan involves recording it in New Mexico.)

Hey, thanks! Today seems to be my day for belated compliments.

I love your idea though - "Radio Cure" definitely fits in with this idea, although I haven't heard the other two. If you ever get the budget for an album, hire me as a personal assistant or something - I'd love to be a fly on that wall.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates