« Home | Social constructions » | You're dumb enough to break the mold, are you smar... » | Dinosaurs and fighter jets » | Really, really, really good » | "Herculean" is pretty astounding, though » | "truly epic pummel" » | Book, magician, machine » | Every photograph is a photograph of infinity » | "Oh that is so a deal." » | Boring » 

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 

Demons as aliens

Nigel Kneale, writer of the Quatermass serials/films, The Stone Tape, The Woman in Black and many more things besides, has passed away. Although I haven't been fortunate enough to experience much of his work directly (yet), it's still had an effect on me - a hugely disproportionate one, actually. Two of the best accounts I've yet read are, naturally enough, courtesy of k-punk.

I actually had a nasty shock while looking for those k-punk entries - I wasn't getting anything, and Google recommended I look for "Quatermass," because I was of course looking for "Quartermass" (because that's what the character/series is called, yes?). Upon clicking the link and finding what I was looking for, I hurriedly checked the BBC article page - sure enough, Quatermass. As just seconds ago I had unproblematically read the whole page as saying Quartermass, I had a very disturbing moment of vertigo upon discovering this.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates