« Home | Girls like you ruin the future » | That was quick » | I don't like spam » | Grotesque » | Wireless energy » | Tramline 3 smells of pee » | Panspermia » | More propulsive and softer » | Expecting to fly » | And I'm all hooked up » 

Saturday, November 18, 2006 

I want a piece of your mind

So I finally got my hands on the special 2-disc edition of Elvis Costello & the Attractions' Armed Forces, which I've loved more and more recently. One surprise, though, was the song "Sunday's Best" which is now in the running order of he original album. They mention in the liner notes that "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding?" wasn't on the original UK LP, and I knew that, and it's still ends the album here; but my older copy of Armed Forces had no such song as "Sunday's Best" and the liner notes don't mention it not being present in the North American issue. In fact, checking allmusic now, I see it listed; but my copy only had 12 tracks and I've never heard "Sunday's Best" before. Which is kind of exciting but also kind of unnerving - what if it sucks? (unlikely) What if the first few times it messes with the way I normally hear the album? (more likely)

I mean, ultimately this is a good thing - more prime Costello and the Attractions, similarly to the way the bonus disc is chock full of goodies - but it's also a little strange.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates