« Home | Holy shit » | Sociology » | "What's my name, fool?" » | The great black-pudding controversies of the late ... » | 20 Albums of 2007: #17 » | Tattoo you » | 20 Albums of 2007: #18 » | Extra tall, extra wide » | 20 Albums of 2007: #19 » | As a reminder to myself: » 

Thursday, January 18, 2007 

I hope we float away together

Feel good hits of the 18th of January, 2007:

Low - "Walk Into the Sea"
Six By Seven - "Bochum (Light Up My Life)"
The Goslings - "Croatan"
Tamas Wells - "From Prying Plans Into the Fire"
David Sylvian - "The Shining of Things"
Oneida - "$50 Tea"
Queens of the Stone Age - "First it Giveth"
Japan - "Ghosts"
Tom Vek - "I Ain't Sayin' My Goodbyes"
Low - "Take Your Time"

How annoyed am I that the tour for Low's upcoming, fucking amazing Drums and Guns (mark my words, it may be my #1 album of 2007 already) doesn't come to Toronto?

Er, I don't think I actually needed to be any more excited about the new Low album thank you very much!

But will it be better than the newie from The Arcade Fire, that's the question? A win-win situation for the consumer though, eh?

I like Low's Drums And Guns a little, which surprises me as I haven't cared for them before now. Though I think I'll enjoy it more as songs in a mix than as an album - it seems a chore to listen to all 40-odd minutes, which is never a good sign.

I'm a huge, huge Low fan, Erik, so it never seems much of a chore to me. I'm kind of surprised you're liking it, as I would have thought something like The Great Destroyer would make a better into.

Ben, I'm out at a concert tonight, but I'll try to help you out soon. I only liked about half of the last Arcade Fire record, so I'm not really craving the next, but I will say I will be astounded if it beats out Drums and Guns in my esteem. It may be my favourite Low album so far, and I say that after listening to it a lot.

I've never had a proper introduction to Low beyond hearing an album or two in the mid-90s and some odd tracks here and there since then. What I heard never caught my ear, but maybe I should check out The Great Destroyer. A friend loaned me a promo of the new album and I was intrigued by a few tracks - "Breaker" sounds like a demo for something amazing, and the "Moe Tucker tries trip-hop" beats of "Belarus" and "Hatchet" are great.

My favourite Moe Tucker trip-hop on the album is actually "Always Fade," which has an awesome bassline to boot.

I actually really like the "demo" feel of "Breaker," but they've been doing that for a while now ("I Remember," "Don't Understand," et al).

You definitely should hear The Great Destroyer, too, especially for "Pissing" and "Everybody's Song." Let me know if you need some help getting it.

The drum part on "Always Fade" is a little too busy for my taste, but the interplay between bass and drum is wonderful. It actually reminds me somewhat of how Yo La Tengo once approached "You Can Have It All" live; they played a drum loop that James accompanied and Georgia and Ira danced and sang along.

If you wanted to add The Great Destroyer to a Goslings care package I wouldn't complain. Drop me your address in an email and I'll send a few choice things your way.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates