« Home | He's the guy that sucks (plus he has got depression) » | Music for marking » | The Presence » | While your head is clear » | "May I add my own small congratulations to the roa... » | Ch-ch-ch-ch-alterations » | Bass » | Origami and the Bug Wars » | Sophisto » | Conservative = hardcore » 

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 

Double play

Today on Stylus my review of the fine radicalfashion album is up along with a Soulseeking piece on the perils of grad school.

Nice Soulseeking piece Ian. I know the choices you've made recently have been hard, but I hope you will find them to be the right ones. Perspective at the current point just isn't going to happen. Try to remember those piles of cds will be there when you have time for them (assuming your apartment doesn't change everything into "Bohemian Rhapsody"); they may be part of a continuum but exist separately, whereas that thesis is of this time and place alone. Plus, when you are able to give them the attention they and you crave, you'll have the additional emotional weight of association with this whole experience.

Best of luck with that, by the way.

And nice comments (per usual) at Stylus.

I think they are the right choices; the comments are making me aware that although I didn't mention it much in the article I should have made at least some mention of how much I love grad school and the work I'm doing. I just focused on the music stuff, which of course is not as positive. But it's not as if I'm struggling either intellectually or emotionally with grad school - I just wish I had more time!

Thanks for the kind words, though, and I'm glad you liked the article.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates