« Home | Crack wise on the price of fame » | It begins » | Nice things about my job » | Hilarity ensues » | A modern hero » | A bad week for directors » | Mom says I'm helping » | Had a speech prepared and everything » | Bing bang boom » | It's you, and it's me » 

Friday, August 10, 2007 

And I'm staring you straight in the eyes

Seeing Los Campesinos! again on Tuesday at the Horseshoe Tavern was both better and worse than seeing them at Hillside. Worse really only in the sense that the sound quality of a bar isn't as good as you get under a tent outside, although they still sounded pretty great (glockenspiel and violin were both clear and audible, although the female vocals weren't), and also that the crowd seemed to go a little less nuts. Better, though, in the sense that the songs that aren't on the Sticking Fingers Into Sockets EP were now ones I'd heard before and that I could have it confirmed for me that my conversion experience at Hillside wasn't a fluke. And it wasn't. I adore this band.

I interviewed Gareth and Tom beforehand, which I think went really well, although I've still got to finish transcribing it. I would kill to be able to catch more of their tour, but I'll have to settle for catching them the next time they play Toronto. I will be very hard for anything to prevent me doing so, however. These guys first album is going to be just ridiculously good.

Setlist:

The International Tweecore Underground
Death to Los Campesinos!
Broken Heartbeats Sound Like Breakbeats
Don't Tell Me to Do the Math(s)
We Throw Parties, You Throw Knives
It Started With a Mixx
Knee Deep at ATP
...And We Exhale and Roll Our Eyes in Unison
You! Me! Dancing!
Frontwards
Sweet Dreams Sweetcheeks

Tweecore?!?

I must have their music!

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates