« Home | "Just like a real social theory" » | And I never cared about whatever » | "Surprised or disappointed or ruined or bored with... » | Two things that are awesome » | But you're never really in love » | Firsts » | Process-like versus product-like » | Oh Ontario oh Jennifer Jason Leigh » | My mind's gone loose inside its shell » | Psilocybe » 

Sunday, October 28, 2007 

I don't know what to feel right now

I've known for a while now, but it's weird/nice to see Stylus' impending passing noted. I'm not sure what I'm going to do in the future in terms of music writing (and I may want to finish my thesis first...), but I'm sure it'll be something.

For better or for worse, by the way, Pitchfork would never hire me; I'm Canadian.

I'm assuming that's a joke, since Mark Pytlik is Canadian.

Nah, more of a "last time I checked, Americans only..." type thing. I've been too lazy/busy to look at it in recent years (my knowledge dates back from the days when PFM was red/brown rather than several pleasing shades of blue). I guess that's nice?

For what it's worth, they've also hired Tom Ewing and Dave Stelfox (British) and Tim Finney (Australian) in recent years. I wasn't aware that there was ever any kind of Americans-only policy, although the site has always seemed to cater to Americans first and foremost, so that's surely had an effect on the applicant pool.

Well, I mean, I might have looked before I joined Stylus. At the time, they definitely had some sort of clause about only paying Americans (I think they just weren't set up to do anything else...). I'm glad to hear they've changed, mind you.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates