« Home | So what about Tune-Yards? » | You can get rid of the blues this way » | Total romance forever is boring » | Because I have been sleeping badly lately » | "They’re all pretty literal these days." » | And it's okay » | Even more delayed than normal » | Whatever happened, happened » | Drink your souvenirs and go your way » | "Some dreams are bad dreams" » 

Thursday, June 24, 2010 

iPod + work day = this kind of thing

One of my favourite bits in the live version* of the immortal "Life During Wartime" is when David Byrne starts whooping "burned all my notebooks, what good are notebooks? / they won't help me survive!" Hefner's "Junk," from the underrated (and yes, a little odd) Dead Media, is just about the last song I would think about in comparison with "Life During Wartime." But what's that after the first chorus? "Don't need notebooks, what good are notebooks / they won't help me survive." I only hope that it's a deliberate, left-field homage.


*(from the Special New Edition of Stop Making Sense, of course; I don't hate The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads, but I will never ever understand people who claim it is somehow better)



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates