« Home | Y'think? » | Phew » | For the record, 7 means "great" » | Fucking brilliant » | He's back » | Subcategories » | Desktop fusion » | We were standing by the wall » | "Feminism" » | Wednesday's Emotional Setup: On The Mouth » 

Thursday, March 04, 2004 

Scumbag

Y'know, something that's been bugging me for a while just coalesced. Bush keeps going on about how "activist judges" are the ones allowing gay marriage. Basically his argument here is that these "activist judges" are doing this against the will of most Americans.

As if that mattered! I don't care if 80% of Americans were homophobic, that doesn't suddenly make it alright to deny them their rights. What Bush is doing is very, very directly a parallel of a political leader in the South during or before the Civil War continuing the allow slavery simply because it's popular: that doesn't make it right.

Not that I suddenly decided that I didn't care what homophobes think re: gay rights (I never have), but since Bush has never explicitly stated that he's relying on the fact that the majority of his constituents (which does not equal all constituents, remember) are homophobic this was the first time it struck me in full force. Which is a really low thing to use as a defence.

[thanks to Dan for pointing out that my rage made me illegible in the last post - should make more sense now]



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates