« Home | Talkin' 'bout my generation » | Unexpected productivity » | Nightmare » | Station to station » | Flashes make me wince » | Geek out » | Spoilers ahoy » | Take it like a man » | Wednesday's Emotional Setup: Don't Understand » | Memo to PETA » 

Wednesday, April 14, 2004 

Wednesday's Emotional Setup: What's The Use Of Getting Sober (When You're Gonna Get Drunk Again)

5:48 pm.

Contrary to what the title might make you think, I didn't have much booze last night. Three pints, that's all. When the Pennywhistle closed up Aaron, James and Christa headed back here to chat for a while and fondle the cat (oh, she hated that) until we borrowed the jeep and drove everyone home. Despite the fact that I hadn't had much, I felt like shit when I got home and went to sleep. And I still felt like shit when K. left to go present her thesis at 8 am - I went back to bed and slept fitfully until 2 in the afternoon.

When I got up, I felt pretty listliss. Still do (and the fact that I took an hour and a half break in the writing of this should be pretty good evidence of that). So naturally I put on Joe Jackson's version of 'What's The Use Of Getting Sober (When You're Gonna Get Drunk Again)'. Not that I'm getting drunk again tonight (or in the foreseeable future), and also not that I'm avoiding it, but those lazy horns and Jackson's sarcastic rendition of the chorus suit my mood. There's an almost audible smirk in Jackson's delivery of the lines "I love my whiskey and I love my gin / Every time you see me I'm in my sin". And the verses are priceless on a lazy holiday afternoon, the squeaky son constantly interrupting the baritone father only to get the retort of a sharp "Shut up, boy". I may not actually drink that much, but mornings like this one make me feel like I do. And in those cases, this is the sort of thing you should listen to.

And really, what is the use of getting sober if you're going to get drunk again?



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates