« Home | Not a sweet young lady » | Our old singer is a sex criminal » | No response necessary » | I love being Canadian » | Swingin' » | Wednesday's Emotional Setup: "Heroes" » | Maybe I'm cynical but.... » | News flash » | Following up » | Son of wacky spam » 

Saturday, June 19, 2004 

Don't shoot me, please

I've just learned Keanu Reeves is playing the cop/junkie role in the film adaption of Dick's A Scanner Darkly, one of his finest works.

Now, I'm as aghast about Reeves playing John Constantine as anyone, but if directed well, his flatness of affect might actually work for A Scanner Darkly. I'm afraid the movie will probably be horrible anyway, but at least this time it won't be Keanu's fault.

Ooh, looking more deeply it's animated and Richard (Slacker, Waking Life) Linklater is directing and adapting it. This could be quite good, actually - anyone who's seen Linklater's PKD story at the end of Waking Life can tell he's a fan. And if you poke around on the official Philip K. Dick site, it's going to be animated Waking Life style! I take it back! This is awesome!

So now I'm looking forward to two movies next year: Serenity (the Firefly movie) and A Scanner Darkly. Dick's kids say they believe it will be "the very first faithful adaptation of a Philip K. Dick story". Awesome.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates