« Home | Krafty » | What the new pope means » | Get off the couch » | Fed up » | He even looks a little evil » | Film at eleven » | Ingenious » | A brief history of locking up priests » | So tired » | I need a turntable » 

Thursday, April 21, 2005 

So far

Just a few random things, four months into the year.

Best horn loop: Mike Jones feat. Slim Thug and Paul Wall - "Still Tippin'"
Jones himself kind of sucks, but Swishahouse gets absolutely everything he can out of one lonely, sickly horn stab and a screwed vocal sample. Slim Thug is pretty awesome too, especially in the clean edit where all the gaps make the track even more disoriented. And Paul Wall is like an ant - he's low to the ground. I gave this a seven on Stylus, but I may have undervalued it.

Best "oh oh oh"s: Of Montreal - "So Begins Our Alabee"
The video is the kind of twee Elephant 6 shit I hate, but the song is pretty good. And those backing vocals during the chorus are kind of Byrne-ish, and I love them to distraction. I hear the album is kind of good, too.

Best utility player: Akon
If you told me when I was first hearing "Locked Up" that this guy would make two more singles that have slowly gotten under my skin, I would have called you a goddamn liar and asked you who you were anyway. "Lonely"'s good, but something about the vocals in "Ghetto" just gets to me. And his guest spot on Baby Bash's last single was good too.

Worst comeback: Weezer
Seriously, the rest of the album might be pure gold, but "Beverly Hills" is like Rivers just walked into my apartment and stabbed me. But somewhere non-vital, the arm or something. Yes, because we wanted you to be more neurotic. Stop him before he emos again.

Best unexpected tugging of heartstrings: Bright Eyes, "First Day Of My Life"
I've said it before, I'm saying it again. Still no desire to listen to the record.

Best reason to send threatening letters to Domino Records: The video to Clinic's "Distortions" is no longer online. I love that fucking video.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates