« Home | Previews » | Marginalia! » | No names, no details » | Twinkle » | You don't realise how much you've missed it until ... » | Put down like a dog » | Nautical disaster » | Dr. David Thorpe vs. Hipsters » | Anti-anti-utopianism » | Slight return » 

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 

Mirrors and duels

I've been enjoying Borges' Labyrinths so much that when I was at the Bookshelf tonight I picked up his Collected Fictions, which has everything Labyrinths has plus... well, everything else, I suppose.

I love that he never wrote novels. I read "The Secret Miracle" as a child (I have no idea where I found it), and I love that even now it retains the vivacity and force of a waking dream. Borges' fictions are perfect for reading over and over, both because of their brevity and for the way they focus the mind on the powerfully unreal. As you get to know the fictions they only seem more inevitable, more obvious. In a lesser writer the experience of reading them all piled up together would be draining on your suspended disbelief but for Borges all those un-sudden twists at the end merely reinforce his themes, his images and his philosophy. The world seems more real when you're done reading Borges, but it also seems different.

And I love that he's so quotable. Here's a recent favourite, from "The Wall And The Books":

Music, states of happiness, mythology, faces belabored by time, certain twilights and certain times try to tell us something, or have said something we should not have missed, or are about to say something; this immanence of a revelation which does not occur is, perhaps, the aesthetic phenomenon.

I'm really glad you appreciate these.

So am I! More than that, I'm really glad (and maybe a little baffled) that others appreciate him too - I feel like we should start some sort of secret club and swap Borges trading cards or something.

Whenever someone says they like him (and you're almost the first, Mike), I have to resist the urge to get all fanboyish, lest I start gushing and asking you what your favourite story is and stuff.

Of course, I had the same reaction to the Mountain Goats when I finally heard them.

I love love LOVE "Funes the memorious"...

You know, I'm going to have to read some Borges in translation. I never got into his stuff when I read it in Spanish, funnily enough.

I will, seriously, give you my copy of Labyrinths when you're up here. I don't need it anymore, and I'd love to give it away.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates