« Home | Roughing it » | Rejecting the religion of art » | Postal service conspiracies! » | Blotting out » | Whoosh » | 13 Angels Standing Guard ‘Round The Side Of Your Bed » | "We thought we were making it up" » | Ethic » | What ever happened » | "The case for heroin" » 

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 

Categories and traits

Excellent piece by Malcolm Gladwell in the New Yorker on pitbulls and profiling. It kind of reminds me of a conversation K and I had once about how you teach people. I'm trying to remember the terms I used, but basically there are two types of things you can try to pass on to someone to teach them. You can give them individual, focused rules (like the 46 traits the US Customs Service used to look for), or you can explain what you're trying to do and give them the rules they need to use to make their own decisions (like the 6 criteria those 46 traits were replaced with). The former teaches you how to respond to certain circumstances, and usually leaves people confused or doing the wrong thing when something else happens; the latter teaches you how to do something.

I'm pretty sure AI ties in here somewhere.

I loved that article.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates