« Home | Incredibly exciting » | Garnished with tasty files » | Torture and 24 » | Science is a process, not a bunch of facts » | I don't care cause I'm by myself » | Good guys, bad guys and explosions » | Saw... OF THE FUTURE! » | 505 » | If the coins don't fit » | Employment » 

Monday, January 16, 2006 

Counterintuitive?

All else being equal, I'm slightly less likely to buy an album that comes in one of those pasted-together cardboard sleeves with a tray inlay than one in a proper jewel case (and I always prefer either to a cardboard sleeve that just has the CD fall out of one side). Are the cardboard ones better for the environment or something? Aesthetically and functionally they're a pain in the ass, but more and more bands seem to be using them.

aye, jewel cases are a degree hardier and aesthetically pleasing in their uniformity...but think of the children.

Jewel cases are made of children? Oh, what a world.

I'm actually the opposite - I prefer the pasted-together cardboard ones. I agree, though, that the wannabe-vinyl fall-out kind are the worst.

(I tried to post this once, and it didn't seem to work, so apologies if this is a double. Just delete one of them if necessary)

Honestly, I suspect it's nothing more than cost-savings on the part of the publisher. Perhaps they figure they can get away with it in this era of MP3s, since people are less likely to actually use the disk itself on a regular basis.

One of the few drawbacks of my tiny computer is that when it's playing a CD you can actually hear it whirring away in there and sound quality is a bit compromised. So yeah, these days if I'm going to listen to something repeatedly I'm just as likely to rip it and delete it once I'm done.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates