« Home | Science is a process, not a bunch of facts » | I don't care cause I'm by myself » | Good guys, bad guys and explosions » | Saw... OF THE FUTURE! » | 505 » | If the coins don't fit » | Employment » | Double shift » | That's what bad news is all about » | Adventures in post-minimalism » 

Monday, January 16, 2006 

Torture and 24

I haven't seen the show myself, but Slavoj Zizek's excoriation of it over at the Grauniad seems both painfully on point and yet not necessarily an argument for the cessation of the show. The people I know who watch it are responsible, intelligent adults who are not likely to have their attitudes towards torture changed by a thriller - but you have to wonder about any kids watching.

To support Ian, I'm a big slavering 24-addict and it hasn't changed my attitudes toward torture. It's a practice that most real-world investigators accept is unreliable because it leads the person being tortured to say what they think the torturer wants to hear, NOT necessarily anything useful.

You were definitely one of the people I was thinking of - I can't really see you suddenly going pro-torture, even if it worked.

But what do you think of Zizek's concerns? I'm not sure he's overreacting, and that worries me a bit.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates