« Home | The name not of the solution but of the challenge » | Realisation » | I'd like to see that » | Counterintuitive? » | Incredibly exciting » | Garnished with tasty files » | Torture and 24 » | Science is a process, not a bunch of facts » | I don't care cause I'm by myself » | Good guys, bad guys and explosions » 

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 

Fantastically exciting

Every so often the site design at Stylus gets a fresh scrubdown, and the results are always better than before; I liked the last one just fine, but the new version unveiled today is definitely better, both from a practical and visual point of view, I think.

My name is Deneva; I love your work,,


neurotically yours,
deneva at deneva dot net




:)

I'd feel a whole lot better about that if I didn't have the sneaking suspicion this is spam.

Hmmm.... If it were spam, the e-mail address would not be escaped the way it is, and there would be a link to a website. Or at least, that's how it should be.

It's either legit praise, or fatally incompetent spam. :-P

I like the redesign, but is there a way to make the text darker? I'm finding the gray text terribly difficult to read.

I typically use firefox; can I change my settings somehow?

Actually, I recalibrated my monitor which helped a lot. Never mind.

Phew - I was going to tell you I didn't know what to do anyways. The text seems fairly dark here at work, I'll have to see what it looks like from home.

looks like pitchfork now.

Really? I haven't been to PF in a while.

(checks)

I suppose you could say that... but so what?

I like our colours better, and think that Stylus looks/feels a bit more compact in layout but less crowded in (the key: smaller text size). Their introduction of daily features could be argued to have been inspired at least partly by us (there's been staff who gone from us to them and vice versa, we've had that format for much longer, etc.), but if two of the bigger music review sites out there occasionally take a cue from the other, as far as design and content, I'm not sure I see the harm (I'm not talking about outright copying or anything). As you can see from the bottom of our site we got Yellow Llama (links don't seem to be working in comments right now, for some reason) in to help with the design, and I'd imagine that even if they did look at PF (and I have no idea if they did) it's not the only site they referred to.

Also, who are you?

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates