« Home | Why should we look back? » | Chocolate salty balls » | Plus, Walsingham » | I'm not a materialist, but... » | "slow-motion fade-to-black" » | Free, as in beer » | Quarter century » | What differentiates art from conversation » | Just what I need this morning » | I was drunk at the Funky Pickle » 

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 

Blurry

I have been doing data entry for too long - just now I loaded a new person into the software we use, and as per normal my eyes flickered over to the bar that displays their affiliation ("Alumni", "Student", that sort of thing). And although it said "Parent" as it always does for these files, for a second I could have sweared it said "Pirate".

I always think I see peasants wearing wide-brimmed hats, about a football field length down the road, when I've been driving too long late at night.

This post reminded me of a scene in a film adaptation of Emma by Jane Austen where the title character, jealous of another woman whose birth status is questionable, says "After all, we know nothing of her parents. They might be pirates!"

That is a cool and incredibly specific thing to hallucinate on a consistent basis.

And that line is this week's edition of The Best Thing Ever. Which adaptation is it from (if you remember)?

The Gwyneth Paltrow one. I saw it 8 times in the theater in high school.

That good, huh?

I'm guessing her parents don't turn out to be pirates.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates