« Home | I am a total geek » | Suit on a skateboard » | Like a monkey with a miniature cymbal » | Relationships, hey hey hey » | Bits and pieces » | Burned, stabbed and mauled by a lion and a grizzly... » | Best news I've heard in a while » | Dangerous Tandem Feeding Technique » | If I was American, I'd give money to Planned Paren... » | Black hand like Gavrilo » 

Saturday, March 25, 2006 

Name withheld to protect the drunk

So last night was the first time I've ever had to call someone a cab (she got home fine, although I discover via MSN today that she managed to skin her knees and possibly break a toe while trying to put on pyjamas, which is kind of hilarious), and so many people got ridiculous last night that the fact I was sober by the time I went to bed at 1(!) means I am now better off than pretty much anyone. Except I woke up at 9 in the morning and don't seem to be getting back to sleep. And Ben just left to go to Oakville with Dad, which would be kind of surreal enough (considering he feels like, and I quote "a bag of hammers" and injured his thumb in the pit last night) except that Dad also had our share of the insurance money. Normally free money is awesome, but I don't exactly feel good about this particular batch.

Also, if Knucklehead play your town, go see them. Good stuff.

Insurance money?

Remember, my grandmother passed away.

That's very sad; insurance agents seem to stop at nothing to sell life insurance to people who don't need it.

I once had a friend of mine in the insurance industry try to convince me that I needed to buy life insurance for myself. It's as if they are brainwashed to the point where they believe their own lies.

Considering how many of the costs surrounding her death were paid by the insurance, I'm not so sure we didn't need it.

I just wrote a whole 'nother rant about the economics of life insurance, but I decided not to post it.

In the end, your grandmother had a dignified funeral, and your family didn't need to worry about money during a difficult time. That is what matters.

We are agreed on that, and I appreciate you holding off on the rant.

I mean, most times I'll shoot the shit about life insurance gladly, but not now.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates