« Home | Weaksauce! » | Tonight's results » | It's official » | Best possible result » | Pull yourself together » | The hills have eyes » | Blurry » | Why should we look back? » | Chocolate salty balls » | Plus, Walsingham » 

Thursday, March 16, 2006 

New crush

So I kind of didn't go to work today (I will make it up next week) and went to Kitchener instead; which was a lot of fun for a bunch of reasons, but I happened to wander into Encore Records (their site is nothing like the store), which is easily the best record store not in New York City I've ever been to. And it's been there the entire time I've been in Guelph. and I've never visited.

How good? They have Coil (though no Ape Of Naples - they were out). They had something like 15 records by Muslimgauze, fer chrissakes. They had Sleep's Dopesmoker for $18, which I promptly bought.

If this store was a person, I'd be following it around and trying to hit on it in really clumsy fashion. When my tax return comes in I'm going to figure out exactly how much I can afford to spend, and we're hitting Encore. It will be glorious.

damnit! I read the title to the blog and was SO hoping to read about myself. TEASE. :oP

If you were a record store, kate, this post would TOTALLY be about you. But I'm glad you're not a store. I mean - you'd still be in Texas, and I've never been there.

i'll be a record store some day. and you'll come to texas. and then you'll write blogs about me too. you'll see.

They called me yesterday to tell me they'd got in Ape Of Naples. I'm ridiculously excited.

(also, you realise now I'm trying to think of a post about you, eh?)

haha. can i be written about as being a record store at least? I don't have Apes of Naples, but I've been jamming out to this lately. I mean, COME ON.

Is this the point where I admit I've never been able to "get" Jandek and you beat me about the head and shoulders with a handbag or something?

That cover isn't bad, though.

shit, I didn't ever "get" jandek either. I can't get past the recording quality, personally. But i'll track him down in this city some day. And these compilations make listening to his songs so much easier and enjoyable.

do you have MSN by any chance?

I've just gotten re-addicted to it tonight.

nah. i have aim though. i wonder if you can figure out my handle.....

I think I probably could. I don't have AIM, though.

well damn

It's a metaphor for the difficulties of communication in our harsh, technologized modern world!

it sure is! nice observation. OTM!

I love that acronym

i know you do.

What, and you don't?

I'm fond of U&K too.

OTM's pretty ok.

U&K eh? expound.

Urgent & Key. On target and deserving of wider exposure.

As in, "that article about Work Wives you posted was pretty U&K, kate".

I don't think that article was really.... *that* urgent, or key though. Bad example. Make up another!

You're right, it wasn't. Substitute the Mary Gaitskill piece, or even this.

Heck, I think I'm pretty U&K myself.

heck yes you are. I'm pretty OMGFLOLZ myself.

I always thought of you as more roffletastic, but that works too.

but if you spell it out, is it really an acronym?

Nitpicker.

yes ma'am i am.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates