« Home | Four and a half hours of sleep » | The politics of film » | Dirty hands shape the keenest minds » | Dirda! » | Indie fuxxor » | Hard at work » | So I just watched the Oscars.... » | Information spaces » | There is always room for one more custard pie » | Clogging inboxes everywhere » 

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 

Seed

So I've just gotten a couple of emails from Max of the Goslings today, thanking me for the review. Which is awfully nice, it's always cool when someone takes the time to say thanks - but what's really getting me is that he tells me after the review ran their website saw a marked increase in visitors, and they've sold a decent number of records over the past couple of days.

Now, my point here isn't self-aggrandizement (really!), it's that you have no idea how good it is to be able to give something back to a band that, admittedly I'm fairly new to, but who have given me an album I have been playing obsessively over the last few weeks. (I'd listen to it at work incessantly, except the people who share the room with me would never stand for it) And it's especially nice to do something for them without trying - the review wasn't really written with an eye to getting them more sales, because that sort of thing rarely occurs to me (and when it does, say with Readymade or Sweet Billy Pilgrim, there's never any evidence that it does any good). Based on Between The Dead and how gracious Max has been via email, they really do deserve all the exposure and sales they can handle or want.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates