« Home | False advertising » | Suddenly I'm glad I don't own it yet » | "You have no imagination whatsoever" » | Honey, you're a prize and I'm a catch » | Booze time » | Hesitant people » | You will surely find this pleasing to your ears » | Cross Europe Chart Challenge... OF DEATH! » | How long must you wait for it? » | Good day » 

Saturday, April 01, 2006 

A lack of uniforms

Wait, so all the people who have been telling me that eventually I'm going to have to stop wearing jeans and a t-shirt all the time may be wrong?

The job stuff is the article is also kind of scarily on target, but parts of the article bear no relation to people I know (especially parenting - would it surprise you to find out Neal Pollock comes across as a bit of a dick?), and of course Sternbergh makes the de rigeur cultural trend-article mistake of writing about "grups" as if they're more prevelant than they actually are, but it's a solid piece of writing nonetheless.

my office is business casual (jeans and green shoes on friday though!), though I fully intend to be the ultimate "yupster" when I'm old too. Except my kids won't be listening to the Hives or Sufjan. Those kids will be taught to love the funk and The Chronic. Damnit.

If the article's conjecture about mini-republicans is on the right track, you're going to have the most stuffily rockist kids ever.

(Or ones that, gasp, hate music! That'd be pretty nightmarish.)

if my kids hated music, i'm afraid I'd have to give them up for adoption and get new ones.

It's good to have your priorities straight like that.

I try. I really do.

That's pretty freaky stuff, but I guess each subculture is going to raise its kids in a different way.

I hope these people realize that it's been well over fifty years since parents could reliably pass their own subculture on to their children via the upbringing process. :-P

I'm not so sure they could reliably do that even fifty years ago.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates