« Home | Record lickers » | There are brighter things than diamonds » | And the dull pain that you live with isn't getting... » | I'm going to break the heart of Chicago » | Random bits » | Stranger song » | Folk music on a spaceship » | "A permanent ongoing epiphany" » | I wish I'd had essay questions like that » | Comedy of errors » 

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 

Regional laughs

Excellently insightful article on British comedy vs. German comedy by Stewart Lee; I don't think much of the jokes included at the end, for the most part, but the one he was told when he got to Germany* is devastatingly good, and although I've never been there I know enough about the German language to believe his points.



*On my first night in Hannover I had gone out drinking with some young German actors. "You will notice there are no old buildings in Hannover," one of them said. "That is because you bombed them all." At the time I found this shocking and embarrassing. Now it seems like the funniest thing you could possibly say to a nervous English visitor.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates