« Home | Not exactly Mechwarrior » | Timing » | We're in Canada, for pete's sake » | The great indoors » | Unit bias » | If you don't take my hand, I lose my mind » | I've got a million things to say » | Bad day » | Great success » | Miscarriage » 

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 

I didn't think this was what they meant by "heat death of the universe"

When I was a kid, in the very depth of summer 20 degrees was hot and if it reached 25 or, god forbid, 30 you knew it was going to be a scorcher.

Today is, what? Our third day in a row of plus-40 degree weather? It's supposed to break a little tonight, possibly go as low as 20. It will feel like it's freezing, which is awesome.

It's also hotter in my room/apartment than it is outside, most of the time. I woke up this morning dizzy from dehydration after sweating all night. With a fan on me the entire time. Turned to high.

When I'm not at my mercifully air conditioned work, I can't write, can't do housework (except for washing dishes, with cold water naturally), can't work, can't think. Not until this breaks.

The next time someone tells me global warning is just some stupid environmentalist myth made up because, I don't know, Greenpeace hates money or something, I am going to punch them right in the face.

My devoted Yankee fans may wish to note that it has hit 117 degrees here today, in their heathen, outmoded number system.

Also note the following, from this extremely informative article:

Here's a guide to humidex comfort levels, according to the Meteorological service of Canada:

Less than 29C: no discomfort
30 to 39C: some discomfort
40 to 45C: great discomfort; avoid exertion
Above 45C: dangerous
Above 54C: heat stroke imminent


Today the humidex is 47 degrees Celsius.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates