« Home | Interrupting sloth » | Prescient » | Series vs stories » | "like when they pulled up the coelacanth out of th... » | You have to hang on to your childhood » | Bits and pieces » | The more you try to erase me... » | With his boots on (metaphorically) » | Our turn to decide what that means » | Got gaffled by one time » 

Friday, September 08, 2006 

Still I've got a flash-bulb head

Feel good hits of the eighth of September, 2006:

Death In Vegas - "Scorpio Rising"
Bob Dylan - "Love Sick"
Jimi Hendrix - "Hey Joe"
The Strokes - "What Ever Happened?"
Six By Seven - "Don't Wanna Stop"
No Doubt - "Spiderwebs"
The Wedding Present - "Dallience"
Flying Saucer Attack - "Popul Vuh II"
Rachel Goswell - "Warm Summer Sun"
Bluebottle Kiss - "Scrub The Mist"

(Six By Seven being the soundtrack to my manic running about campus this afternoon, feeling great, getting even more done than I expected to)
(No Doubt being courtesy of the booth the student radio set up)
(The Wedding Present being in my head to commemorate finally getting a copy of Seamonsters! Thanks Kiernan!)

Oh, good! I'm glad you got the package. I'm just sorry it took me so long to send it!

Also, the Strokes are playing here on the 17th. Should I go?

if it's not prohibitively expensive/hell of crowded, yes.

Seamonsters = very good, but I think I prefer Bizarro. If you've not got it, I'd strongly recommend it. In fact, depending on whether SendSpace is working for me at the moment, I could send you it - drop me an email if you're keen.

Thanks very much for the offer, Ben, but the source who gave me the files of Seamonsters provided the files for Bizarro at the same time. I haven't listened to it as much yet, but so far I'm a little luckwarm except for "Brassneck" and "Take Me!"

I just love the way the songs on Bizarro start loud and furious (particularly 'Crushed') and get gradually longer without compromising the volume and the fury. 'Take Me!' is superb, as is 'Granadaland' and, well, pretty much everything else on there. Not a massive fan of 'Be Honest', though - it just feels tacked on.

Well, as mentioned, I've only given it a few listens... both George Best and especially Seamonsters took some time to grow on me, so I'll definitely give Bizarro a chance.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates