« Home | I'd taser a 14-year-old. I'd taser him right in t... » | Jessica Alba doesn't like the evangelical church » | Arockalypse » | "I was perfect. I have always been perfect." » | Marie came home tattooed / it covers her back » | Everything hits at once » | Nicely chosen » | Encouraging signs » | The winter was nice, but the summer was hell » | Not cleverness » 

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 

Making the grade

Another week, another thrilling Jukebox; but for once I'm a little tiny bit miffed at the blurbs they chose to pass over. I think my two best this week are the two they didn't include:

Pet Shop Boys - Numb: Neil Tennant is a great frontman partly because he’s only a passable singer. His range is pretty limited, but somehow he can still sell songs like “Numb,” an aching Diane Warren ballad that clearly longs to be sung by Christina or Mariah. Rather than sounding operatic Neil makes it sound human; you believe the “I want to be numb” refrain so much more coming from that little voice. [7]

Razorlight - America: I assumed this would be awful, as Razorlight has been maybe the most eminently hateable British rock band of the last decade. But from the first gentle cod-Durutti Column guitar notes I'm actually quite taken with “America,” trite lyrics and all. Maybe it's that Johnny Borrell is aping David Byrne on the chorus, maybe it's just that the band is finally embracing their AOR ballad milieu. [7]

I really am quite shocked at how much I like the latter.

Me too!

Both good blurbs, even if I don't even like "Numb" quite as much either

Thanks!

Ah, but do you like Neil Tennant as much as I do?

I think so, but that song is still just a little too overpowering. It's grown on me a lot though, from initially being easily my least favourite on the album. Partly after this, inevitably.

That is fantastic.

I don't think as much of the album as some do; "Numb" is a borderline keeper, as is "Minimal" and "I'm With Stupid", and a few of the album tracks are really good, but it's all about "Integral".

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates