« Home | Plus ca change » | Cut the cards » | We may never have this chance again » | My parents had a daschund » | Elsewhere » | I hope we float away together » | Holy shit » | Sociology » | "What's my name, fool?" » | The great black-pudding controversies of the late ... » 

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 

Livid

How the holy blistering fuck did Children of Men only get nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography and Editing?

I mean, in Best Actor it's great to see Whitaker and Gosling, but DiCaprio? Will Smith?

In Best Picture... how the hell does Babel, The Queen or Little Miss Sunshine (pleasent/competant as they all may be) crowd out Children of Men? Did it come out too late? Did none of the jagoffs at the Academy actually watch it?

And as for Best Director, don't get me started. Cuaron didn't have a chance anyways (Scorsese is a mortal lock), but as pleasing as The Departed may be, it's not even close to Scorsese's best work, and I loathe the way the Oscars tend to award past work each year.

God, unless I get invited to a good party there is no way I'm going to watch this year. What total bullshit.

There are some absolutely incredible shots in CoM (the single-shot run-up to the tenement in Bexhill was jawdropping), but there were a few bad choices as well.

The scene in the school between Faron and the midwife (worst dialogue in the film... cringe-worthy) was shot so that we could just "coincidentally" see Ki through the broken window. So obvious and annoying.

I'm not exactly sure where you're going with this... leaving aside that I liked that scene, surely you're not going to tell me that I couldn't find similar flaws in all or at least most of the Best Picture/Director nominees?

I liked Children of Men a lot, but honestly, this isn't surprising at all. It received very few precursor awards (Best Director with the Utah and Austin Film Critics and Best Picture only in Central Ohio) and hasn't really taken off with the public in a major way. In fact, I was actually happy that it got three nominations, since Cinematography was probably the only one it was a lock for.

I don't think it was meant to be "coincidental".

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates