« Home | Cheer up, emo kid » | We're half-awake » | My words are just punches » | A cardboard cut-out of a plane on fire » | Unknown pleasures » | Focus » | Wait behind, wait behind » | Sing, goddess, the rage of Achilles » | LOBSTER STICKS TO MAGNET! » | Busy week » 

Monday, April 09, 2007 

Oh my God, it doesn't mean a lot to you

Feel good hits of the 9th of April, 2007:

The National - "Racing Like a Pro"
LCD Soundsystem - "Too Much Love"
Stars of the Lid - "A Meaningful Moment Through A Meaning(less) Process"
The Wrens - "Boys, You Won't"
Mercury Rev - "Frittering"
The Delgados - "Pull the Wires From the Wall"
Dominic Harlan - "Musica Ricercata II"
Rachel Kiel - "Saturday Morning Cartoons"
Readymade - "Saturday Passage"
The Orb - "Before Because"

LCD Soundsystem - yes yes yes. You taken to Sound Of Silver yet? I think I now prefer it to their first - partly as the bonus disc had most of the best songs.

God no - Sound of Silver is something like 25% as good as the debut (sans bonus disc). It's not making my year-end list by any means.

I am aware I am in a tiny minority on this account.

Count me in on the "Huh?" reaction to the reviews of Sound Of Silver. I honestly tried, but Murphy kept the mannerisms and musical stylings I didn't like and ditched all the cool Wolfgang Press sounding bits.

I'm also really tired of his "I don't rip, I'm recontextualizing" BS. If "North American Scum" didn't sound like Pete Shelley's "Homosapien" it would be utter crap. As it is, it just rips off a better song's chorus.

"Too Much Love" is better than anything on the new one. Fact.

I like "Someone Great" and "All My Friends" just fine, but they're not all they're being cracked up to be.

You know, I hadn't thought of the "Homosapien" thing, since I'd heard that song maybe once, but I think you're on to something there.

Also, Murphy homaging Eno and the Beatles > Murphy homaging, I don't know, Weezer or someone (that godawful last track).

'Someone Great' and 'All My Friends' are the standouts for me, too.

It's weird, because they seem to be standouts pretty uniformly; I've yet to see anyone not talk about them as the peak of the album. Which is fine, just unusual.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates