« Home | And I'm staring you straight in the eyes » | Crack wise on the price of fame » | It begins » | Nice things about my job » | Hilarity ensues » | A modern hero » | A bad week for directors » | Mom says I'm helping » | Had a speech prepared and everything » | Bing bang boom » 

Monday, August 13, 2007 

26

My birthday was very good, thanks, but of course I was too busy to post anything. Driving down to St. Catherines in a bus for Orbax's show was great, having to sit through the bus ride when I desperately wanted to sleep (partly because of booze, mostly because of exhaustion) less so. And I got what I really wanted for my birthday - a new bed, which I drove to Ikea with Julia and picked out on Saturday. I've been spending today, my last day off work (they gave my three days for my birthday, which is awesome) writing and catching up on my correspondence. I wanted to mention probably my favourite paragraph, from Erik on my beloved EP+6:

Once I decided I didn't need to hear all of that first track on the Mogwai EP+6 ("Superheroes of BMX"), I liked the rest. It is definitely better than the other Mogwai stuff I've heard here and there. Though that opener is just ... I don't even know what to say. I'm glad I've never heard anyone else try to do Slint-Hop. Mogwai didn't do anything else like that, did they? They could have called an album of that sound Maxinquaaludes. Brrr.

"Superheroes of BMX" is one of my favourite Mogwai tracks, but I love his turn of phrase here enough that I don't mind at all (actually, I wouldn't mind at all anyway, but you know what I mean). Maxinquaaludes! That's awesome.

Of course, after finally hearing all of that album, I can comfortably say that Pre-Millennium Tension is Tricky's real masterwork.

Also, after wanting to see both for ages I rented Caddyshack and The Seventh Seal and watched them last week, albeit separately (that would have been an intolerable double bill!). Both are excellent, in fact both exceeded my expectations, but weirdly enough the former was more sly and cerebral and the latter more fiery and emotional than I had previously expected. But although I want to explore Caddyshack again, it's The Seventh Seal I need to own (and Bergman, not Ramis, I need to investigate).

Happy belated birthday, yo.

If I had time, i'd totally update "the cake" :)

No worries, I know all about lack of time these days... and thanks!

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates