« Home | Doctor my eyes » | Catching up » | Writers Guarantee Audiences » | That's it, that's all. » | I believe I'll go back home » | Sleek and beautiful » | Lost at sea, until you find me » | I don't know what to feel right now » | "Just like a real social theory" » | And I never cared about whatever » 

Saturday, November 10, 2007 

Give a hoot

So via the BBC I was made aware of FreeRice, which assuming it does what it says on the tin (and I have no reason to doubt that), then I'm both improving my word knowledge and donating some rice. Which is neat.

Also, if you get bored of naming words, rap in chart form. So them are just meh, but the good ones are awesome.

I got bored/incompetent after 1,000 grains of rice. The highest skill level I achieved was 45, but I finished off at level 40.

Their algorithm for keeping the user on the edge of his vocabulary is pretty decent.

I got up to 46 for one brief, shining moment. Haven't been able to get past about 43 since.

45, with 960 grains. really interesting word choiced. some were pure guesses.

should be choices.

Yeah, some of mine were pure guesses, and a lot more were semi-educated ones. 45's pretty impressive, dad!

Yeah, for an old man, with dying brain cells.

Hey, mine are dying too.

I played this at work last weekend after it was posted in a few LJs that I read.
I made it up to 1300ish grains, but I kept peaking out at ~42.

The ones that trip me up are the ones where the definition sounds "too easy", and to me it sounds like a government and/or Latin term, but really it's an easy one. Like "Whitebill" is a woodpecker, not something in Parliament. :P

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates