« Home | Give it back » | Piss-temology » | "I want to protect the people I've put in harm's way" » | Ten things you should know about dictionaries » | Eatings » | Electronic tattoo display runs on blood » | Log on to the innermets » | For future reference » | Volleying » | The grace of a slasher movie » 

Thursday, March 06, 2008 

Trying to catch up

I am feeling a bit under the weather, so no intellectual heavy lifting for me today, but I feel compelled (out of guilt) to mention two belatedly discovered responses to things I've written that I wish I had the energy to respond to fully (and hope/plan to at some point, in the former case).

My friend Erik responded quite cogently to my post on rockism a while back; I read his response a while ago but haven't yet mustered up the will to reply (which isn't his fault; I'm just lazy/busy). I will say now that his point that he wants "less reviews and more thought" is exactly the sort of thing I think we should be aiming for, but I owe him a fuller response than that.

On a completely different note, a gentleman I don't know at all has a very lengthy and interesting response to my article in Perforations ("I Exist On the Best Terms I Can": Joy Division and Hauntology). It's mostly not about my paper, and I don't have much to say in direct response to it, but it is extremely well done, and a more than worthy counterpart to what I wrote and the k-punk posts that were the genesis for my own thinking. And I'm not just saying that because he writes about "the extraordinary power of the two Hannett LPs – which I must admit Mathers evoked with real vividness and nail-on-the-head accuracy," although I did of course love reading that. So much so I'm quoting it for you.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates