« Home | The grace of a slasher movie » | Nothing makes any sense anymore, but everything rh... » | This isn't helping my painful ambivalence about th... » | Why do you do what they tell you? » | Joy inducing external causes » | More valuable than the Mona Lisa » | I am young and I am good » | Tell me what to do if it all falls through » | Light headed » | Top marks for the cops » 

Thursday, February 21, 2008 

Volleying

Anyone who is at all interested in what I said about Vampire Weekend below (and I fixed some of the typos which I somehow missed - how embarrassing!) should drop by my friend Erik's blog for his take. I think his point about Billy Bragg is pretty well taken (I've never heard Bishop Allen), but I kind of disagree about Batmanglij's keyboards and fake strings - at first they annoyed me (I remarked to a friend that, for example, "Mansard Roof" sounded much better before the cheese came in), but I kind of came around to it; I now think their bright, simple feel matches the ethos and lyrics of the music so well that I'm glad he's such an essential part of the song. And while I like "Campus," I still think "M79" is the standout here. Still, I haven't heard "Ladies of Cambridge"...



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates