« Home | Highly illegal » | I can stop any time I want » | BULLSHIT » | Don't worry about the government » | In this hemisphere » | We leave alone » | Hmm » | Free and legal » | Bitesized » | And then he really laid into me » 

Sunday, April 13, 2008 

Guelph is not Staten Island

I know that, I do. And I also know that I, a white twenty-something grad student who isn't even really a fan of rap (or at least, certainly not a knowledgeable one) rather than a hardened ghetto dweller/rap enthusiast. But despite the misgivings of many, including most famously a few of the Clan themselves, I also know that 8 Diagrams sounds kind of perfect walking around downtown by myself at night, belly full of gin, light rain falling.

The Wu-Tang clan's appeal to me (musically, not culturally or iconographically) is actually kind of mystifying, much the way that my love for, say, A Love Supreme or Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus is - not because the albums are bad, but because the vast majority of their respective contemporaries leaves me so cold. The only answer for anyone who's really a music fan (let alone obsessive) is, of course, to investigate further.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates