« Home | Looking back: The Go-Betweens » | Swells » | Fear is not knowing » | Makes me feel glad that I'm not dead » | Oh! How the dogs stack up » | Huckenpack » | Moderate or good, occasionally very poor » | I think my face is falling off » | Always, always; forever » | New horizons » 

Friday, July 03, 2009 

quiet, remorse, everything, peace

I haven't said much of anything about Michael Jackson mostly because I don't have much of anything to say; I liked some of his songs, I disapproved of some of his actions. There wasn't as much at stake* for me with him as there was with many friends of mine, and since so many people have written so movingly and eloquently about him in various ways there didn't seem much point adding in my own "well, you know, I quite like "Billie Jean" and a few others." And there still isn't. But I will say however you felt about the man and his music, you owe it to yourself to check out this response from Sean at Said the Gramophone. Michael really has entered the realm now where he's a symbol, a figure, a thing of art, and if half of that art is as good as this we should be content with that.



*(that there still was something at stake is down entirely to how much Jackson did create the world of modern pop, which along with a frequently astounding body of musical work is his real legacy)



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates