« Home | Putting the argument below the surface of the prose » | "That's for her." » | All wrapped up in cotton wool » | Oh I guess it's Friday » | Ouch » | I knew I needed you so » | How will I know what I think 'til I see what I say? » | What are you talking about? » | Baby you've got to be more discerning » | A busy weekend » 

Friday, September 11, 2009 

So what's an own goal, then?

First of all, Tom Ewing is a fucking genius and has been for years (I was definitely reading him when I started writing, so he's a formative influence on me as much as glenn mcdonald, Chris Ott (for better or worse!), Nick Southall and the rest of the Stylus crew, et al), so respect is due on that account. But this post of his on "music critics as football positions" is so casually brilliant it set me back a bit. We've been talking about it on the Stylus boards today and one of my favourite Stylus writers put me down as a holding midfielder, which I'm quite flattered by. And I'm glad someone assigned me somewhere, because I'm sufficiently Canadian that when I read that post all I could think was that it would be grotesquely egotistical to say that I was any of those positions.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates