« Home | And someone leads the beast in on its chain » | Lay down for a while and disconnect » | I don't care if he dies in prison, no » | I knew happiness once » | Until you love me » | I need two heads » | (Sad trombone) » | Murderer's row » | Not just happy little trees » | I believe my little soul is blown » 

Monday, October 05, 2009 

"Crowdsourcing kills art"

When friends ask me why I don't attempt to make a living writing about music, I've never had a pithy answer. Now I can just show them this video. I pretty much agree with everything Christopher R. Weingarten says there, although I'd probably emphasize things a little bit differently.

Weingarten's point about "the because" is right but I think he's overoptimistic about how good your writing can be if you're ALWAYS restricted to 140 characters. More generally, he's got a valid point about a form of bad writing (3000 word pointless unedited internet reviews) and a form of good writing (poetic 140 word internet reviews) but like a lot of people he seems to make the error of thinking that his is the only form of good writing.

And while obviously the important thing here is that Weingarten's speech is true, hilarious and profane, I'm pleased to hear that people still remember Stylus.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates