« Home | Show me your teeth » | A glance » | Kicking comedy in the dick » | As time stood still » | "the right side of this battle, the right side of ... » | Taco meat and soft serve sundaes » | Like a broken record player (with a working stylus) » | We are living in a material world » | Supplementary reading » | Step five » 

Friday, January 15, 2010 

Where you been?

Feel good hits of the 15th of January, 2010:

Basement Jaxx - Plug It In
Nirvana - Polly
Pavement - Silence Kit
Little Boots - New in Town
Simon & Garfunkel - The Only Living Boy in New York
Primal Scream - Come Together
Divisible - Don't Say Nothin' Now
Hurts - Blood, Tears & Gold
Belle & Sebastian - Jonathan David*
The Congos - Fisherman

*I love productive mishearing of songs, and this one lingered on for years... until yesterday, no matter how much I knew intellectually that it wasn't the right line, I always heard Stevie Jackson singing ""it's not like we'll be pardoned, it's not like we'll never know love" on the chorus. Given that it's a song being sung from a guy who likes Girl X to his good male friend who also likes (and, crucially, is liked by) Girl X, and that the chorus is him ceding way as gracefully as he can, I always loved the weird about-face of that line. And although, again, I realized it was almost certainly not the actual lyric, I still loved it and no matter how hard I tried couldn't hear the line any other way. Yesterday, apropos of nothing, I heard it as (the correct, but less interesting) "it's not like we'll be parted, it's not like we'll never know love." I'll probably never hear it the old way again. I'm so disappointed.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates