« Home | "as many possible points of scrutiny" » | A little heartbroken » | I've never read Proust » | iPod + work day = this kind of thing » | So what about Tune-Yards? » | You can get rid of the blues this way » | Total romance forever is boring » | Because I have been sleeping badly lately » | "They’re all pretty literal these days." » | And it's okay » 

Friday, July 23, 2010 

"I want to kick over the whole fucking chessboard"

Speak of the devil... I first heard about David Eagleman (and his book Sum, which is also on my to-read list) on the truly great Radiolab. This article on the also reliably great Killing the Buddha not only gets deeper into what Eagleman's doing and striving for, it gives me a label for my beliefs that I just might want to use:

Eagleman rejects not only conventional religion but also the labels of agnostic and atheist. In their place, he has coined the term possibilian: a word to describe those who "celebrate the vastness of our ignorance, are unwilling to commit to any particular made-up story, and take pleasure in entertaining multiple hypotheses."

I think "made-up story" is a bit glib, but basically this is an idea I can get behind.

Yeah, I totally read that the other day and I'm like: "HMMMM, maybe I'm a POSSIBILIAN, I kinda like that word."

Not sure I feel about the other name in that article, though (mysterian).

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates