« Home | We die only once (and for such a long time) » | I have a mandolin » | "I want to kick over the whole fucking chessboard" » | "as many possible points of scrutiny" » | A little heartbroken » | I've never read Proust » | iPod + work day = this kind of thing » | So what about Tune-Yards? » | You can get rid of the blues this way » | Total romance forever is boring » 

Thursday, August 05, 2010 

You got to know your place on the food chain

Feel good hits of... well, the last couple of months, really.

Fujiya & Miyagi - In One Ear & Out the Other
Cocteau Twins - Iceblink Luck
Neil Young - Don't Be Denied
Smog - Dress Sexy At My Funeral1
New Order - Love Vigilantes

The Grapes of Wrath - All the Things I Wasn't2
The Antlers - Bear3
The National - Lucky You
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Little Shadow
Stars - Elevator Love Letter4

Electric Six - I Buy the Drugs5
Sparklehorse - King of Nails6
The Killers - Smile Like You Mean It
Maximo Park - The Coast Is Always Changing
Blur - Trimm Trabb

1Sadly, this one came to mind during the funeral of an old friend. He would have appreciated the sentiment, I think.
2For a song I loved when it was a single (I was 8), this sure has held up well. In fact, listening to it now I'm only beginning to realize that there's a whole strain of my favourite music that's descended from this song (in terms of my personal chronology, anyway; we're talking anything from Nick Drake to Horse Feathers in terms of actual chronology). I still love that cello.
3So far this is the only part of Hospice that I love rather than respect; they were good live, though.
4Seeing them play this live at Hillside was definitely a highlight of the weekend.
5I know some (most?) people will always resist their brilliance, but Electric Six are a truly great band. This is because Dick Valentine lives in and writes about a world that is simultaneously incredibly awesome and incredibly horrible. That world is called America, and Valentine refuses to give either side of it short shrift.
6I'm not a massive Sparklehorse fan (just this album, really), but "King of Nails" is one of my favourite songs by anyone ever.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates