« Home | Light at night » | What if we were that good? » | This is why we can't have nice things » | "They are lying / And I am lying too." is a cop out » | Urgh » | Glee » | It's been a bad year for this sort of thing » | Damn, man » | BBC Radio 1, give this man a job » | Plug pulled » 

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 

Lines in the sand

It's things like this that make me despair, that make me fear that non-insane Christians are in fact in the minority. That non-fundamentalists are surrounded. This is what we're fighting against.

Yeah, I couldn't finish it either.

Scary note: David Barton comes to talk at my church about once a year. My wife and I refuse to attend when he's in town (long story why we're there at all).

In better news, not all of us are like those people. I read Sojourners for comfort.

Oh, I know you're not all Leviticans, to use John Scalzi's rather brilliant turn of phrase (seriously Justin, read that article).

I would be interested in hearing the long story of why you guys are at that church; but not because you need to justify it (you don't), but because I'm interested in such things.

That is a great article. There's this: "To suggest that a Christian is actually a Levitican is not to say he or she is false in faith -- rather, it is to suggest that their faith is elsewhere in the Bible, in the parts that are easy to understand: The rules, the regulations, all the things that are clear cut about what you can do and what you can't do to be right with God. Rules are far easier to follow than Christ's actual path, which needs humility and sacrifice and the ability to forgive, love and cherish even those who you oppose and who oppose and hate you."

I'll email you about my faith/church stuff.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates