« Home | Hello cowgirl in the sand » | Well, it was part of my childhood. » | Plus, you know, assault charges » | "My Humps", though? Seriously? » | Chills » | It begins » | Backlog » | That's a bad hat, Harry » | Bad law » | They used to float through like leaves » 

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 

She would have to be a philosophy major, wouldn't she?

Why is this person being paid (paid!) to express her opinion, when it amounts to, and I quote:

I don’t think I will vote, however. Like I said, in the last three years, I’ve been paying attention, but I still feel like I don’t know my arse from my elbow when it comes to politics.

It’s still too complicated, still too boring to work out the various nuances. The more I learn about it, the less sense it makes, and again, I can’t work out what apparent relevance it has in my life. Most of all, I don’t see how voting affects social justice.


(emphasis mine)

I could go into some detail why I find this kind of thinking odious and ridiculous, but from the fact that all of the comments on that article are expressing different kinds of annoyance with her facile claims, and the fact that the people who read here are smart, I don't think I need to.

Still, it's not absolutely 100% her fault - clearly the education system in Canada has failed to instill in her the reasons why one of your duties as a citizen is to educate yourself you can vote in an informed fashion, let alone the fact that voting is vital. Look, I don't like democracy any more than any of you might, but it's what we've got, so until that changes we need to work together on this.

"Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Winston Churchill

Can't say it any better, so I'm not going to try.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates