« Home | Mail call » | Sleep spent » | Pop-ular » | Back to business » | "That billboard had two sides, and both of them hu... » | What's the worst thing I could say? » | Wha? » | "a different kind of unreadability" » | Reset » | Into the new year again » 

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 

"Atimetus got me pregnant"

Via the ever-wonderful Ryan North of Qwantz, here's an amazing page full of graffiti from Pompeii. A lot of it is pretty quotidian (although still interesting), but occasionally you get something extremely amusing/resonant:

We have wet the bed, host. I confess we have done wrong. If you want to know why, there was no chamber pot (on an inn room wall)

Theophilus, don’t perform oral sex on girls against the city wall like a dog

Lesbianus, you defecate and you write, ‘Hello, everyone!’ (on either a bar or a pottery shop)

Let everyone one in love come and see. I want to break Venus’ ribs with clubs and cripple the goddess’ loins. If she can strike through my soft chest, then why can’t I smash her head with a club?



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates