« Home | Sleep spent » | Pop-ular » | Back to business » | "That billboard had two sides, and both of them hu... » | What's the worst thing I could say? » | Wha? » | "a different kind of unreadability" » | Reset » | Into the new year again » | 70'S MUSIC EXPLOSION! » 

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 

Mail call

Today my physical copy of Cadence Weapon's fine Breaking Kayfabe arrived thanks to the good graces of Derek Miller, as well as my Amazon/Caiman-ordered copy of Congotronics I. Like pretty much everyone I know of who has heard/liked/wrote about it, I'm a little conflicted due to all the issues about various important political/sociological things that arise from its context (especially the tokenism stuff, hoo boy); but I'm going to ignore all that and just luxuriate in the sound of those homemade amplifiers and the three likembes (especially on "Paradiso", aka "the one where they have a standard drum set brought in"); I really like the sounds present on this CD, and everything else is (interesting, vital, but secondary) analysis.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates