« Home | Riding ice cream trucks » | And I've never met anyone quite like you before » | Because the opposite of boredom isn’t interest, it... » | Scum » | Gimpy » | Fine white foam » | Crimes against science » | The anatomy of explanations » | Mulligan » | But people, people, we're not in love » 

Thursday, April 20, 2006 

On waking

This article is mostly bullshit (full disclosure: I use an electric razor and am wholly unconvinced by Crouch's arguments that learning to shave "properly" would somehow make me a better person), but there is one great paragraph nestled within:

There are few experiences of sheer vertiginous despair that can compare to the alarm going off at 4:30 after six hours or so of sleep. The furnace, uninformed of my travel plans, has not yet come on, so the temperature in our bedroom is about 55 degrees. I stumble into the bathroom, shivering, and wince against the light. The hot shower is comforting, but I still feel a vague sickness of fatigue in my stomach and sluggishness in my limbs.

I've had way too many mornings like that, albeit not necessarily at 4:30 in the morning.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates