« Home | Either your emotions have an echo » | I've been crowned the king of it » | It makes me feel just rotten » | Good weekend » | I love living in the future dept. » | Might as well get started early » | Natural's not in it » | We was robbed » | He's good, but a bit overrated » | Watchmaker » 

Monday, April 17, 2006 

But people, people, we're not in love

Since today seems to be all about the music, I might as well finish up with a quick word about the Delgados' The Great Eastern, which I listened to while out walking tonight. Hearing "American Trilogy" on The Wedge late one friday night as a teenager was a seriously formative experience; rarely before had I heard one song by a band and been so convinced I was in love with them (I also felt like "American Trilogy" was kind of about me, which it is not and it wasn't back then either; but when you're a teenager, you seize on to these sorts of things). In fact, my main worry when I bought the album was that the rest wouldn't measure up, when in fact it is now only my fourth or fifth favourite song on the album.

I like their two succeeding albums more, and maybe even Peloton, but The Great Eastern was the first. I'll probably never get rid of it, despite thinking it's kind of oddly structured and not liking either the beginning or the end that much (that middle, though!). I kind of miss the fact that they stopped being as destructively loud with their guitars as they are at the end of "No Danger", but I always preferred "Aye Today" anyways. And for the rest of my life, one of my finest concert experience will always be seeing the Delgados for the first time, with string section, and having them blow the roof off of the venue with "Thirteen Gliding Principles". Completely one of those occasions where you just want them to play one song all night, and then they do, and it's BETTER than you expected.

I discovered them from The Great Eastern too, thanks to its Mercury Music Prize nomination and after a brief period of confusion in which I believed them to be De La Soul.
Knowing When To Run is the one which most gets me every time without fail - just when you think it's finished they twist the knife one final time.

"Knowing When To Run" is a good song, yeah, but unless I'm in the right mood I tend to skip those couple of lower energy songs at the end and just stop listening after "Witness". It's a sequencing issue more than anything else.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates