« Home | Crimes against science » | The anatomy of explanations » | Mulligan » | But people, people, we're not in love » | Either your emotions have an echo » | I've been crowned the king of it » | It makes me feel just rotten » | Good weekend » | I love living in the future dept. » | Might as well get started early » 

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 

Fine white foam

As previously mentioned, I finally bought the Mountain Goats' We Shall All Be Healed, and I have yet to be disappointed. Currently listening to it for the second time today, I'm in my favourite phase of digesting a new record by Darnielle, the one where phrases that went unnoticed before (or even ones that annoyed me) start by some mysteriously, quasi-alchemical process becoming my favourite things about the songs. It doesn't matter how lukewarm I feel about one of these albums on first play, I'm going to wind up adoring every track.

I'm not sure anything here will touch me as profoundly as "Have To Explode" still does, but there are already some new candidates for what I could call the Checkerboard White and Grey Hall of Fame, first (chronologically) among them the couplet "we are what we are / get in the goddamn car" from "Slow West Vultures".



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates