« Home | Grow any further » | Man with hammer » | Argument rules » | Scones are delicious » | Monomania » | Arendt in New York » | A better box of burgers » | Armour » | "Unique in his recollection" » | Risk addiction » 

Monday, April 10, 2006 

Small world

K just sent me an email so awesome I need to post it in its near-entirety:

"I was sitting in Property today, listening to my professor (Alexander, who I adore) talk about landlord-tenant law, specifically whether a landlord has a duty to the tenant to control the nuisance behavior of third parties. We were discussing this in the context of a hypothetical case where the tenant complains about other tenants' loud parties, and Alexander said 'Now, just so you know, Jim Krier (one of our casebook's authors) REALLY knows about this issue. His son's a rock star called ...'

wait for it...

Andrew WK! Half the class (obviously, the half that had heard of the guy) cracked up laughing, and the rest proceeded to crack up when Alexander (short, balding, paunchy, middle-aged) gave us his best rendition of "Party Till You Puke."

I still can't get over that. Jim Krier's son is Andrew Motherfucking WK."

Well, I knew Mr. WK's name is Wilkes-Krier, but I never would have guessed his dad wrote some textbook they use at Cornell. And that one of the profs would be familiar enough with WK's music to use it as an example. Awesome.

HIL AR I OUS.

I'm still laughing about this. I still have three weeks of school left, but if anything surpasses this as Best Law School Moment of First Year, I'll be really surprised.

I remember him mentioning that his dad was a professor when you interviewed him on his bus. He said all the students called him Teach, and asked if that practice was carried on north o' the border as well.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates