« Home | Monomania » | Arendt in New York » | A better box of burgers » | Armour » | "Unique in his recollection" » | Risk addiction » | Old home week » | I think I lost my headache » | The night's results » | It's only lightning » 

Saturday, April 08, 2006 

Scones are delicious

It's been a bit of an odd afternoon; Ben's gone to Toronto and I wound up having high tea at the Boathouse with Aaron, Christa, James and a few others. Which was quite nice. I had some sort of vanilla tea that was fairly delicious, even if the fact that we met at 3 meant I had basically just awoken. Everyone else had to study and I was enjoying listening to Belle & Sebastian on my new headphones (expensive, but worth every penny) too much to just go home, as the Boathouse is about four minutes away from my building, and walking around on a beautiful sunny day listening to “The Model” and “The Wrong Girl” and “There's Too Much Love” fills me with a bafflingly strong sense of well-being (because if you take out that one song Fold Your Hands, Child... really is their best LP, and I always liked Sarah Martin's voice better than Isobel Campbell's – too cold).

And then I dropped by my local comic book shop and picked up everything they had on reserve for me, including the first two volumes (of four) of Grant Morrison's astounding Seven Soldiers of Liberty thing, which is not just about superheroes at all but is about as giddily thrilling as superheroes can get. Reading a bunch of good Morrison at once makes me positively manic, and the caffeine in the pot of tea I had probably isn't helping either.

And then (this post was delayed due to some asshat with a bad portable phone fucking up our wireless network) I got a call from Erik and joined him, Ange, Jamie and Jer down at Wok's Taste, somewhere I haven't been in months. It was an incredibly satisfying meal.

At some point I am apparently going to go bowling. I am having a ridiculously good day.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates