« Home | Scones are delicious » | Monomania » | Arendt in New York » | A better box of burgers » | Armour » | "Unique in his recollection" » | Risk addiction » | Old home week » | I think I lost my headache » | The night's results » 

Sunday, April 09, 2006 

Argument rules

We don't have nearly the debates in the comments here that John Scalzi does, but this post perfectly sums up how I feel about arguing about stuff. Especially this:

I assume that no matter how heated an argument can get in a comment thread, at any point in time we could stop and one of us would say "I'm getting this round." This is in part rooted in my real-life experience with friends; my best friend from high school and I, for example, can get into arguments that to an outside observer looks like we're about to stab each other to death, and then after we're done we'll go get something to eat at the nearest family restaurant. I assume that people who like each other can and do argue passionately and even politically incorrectly and still like each other when the argument is done.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates