« Home | Correctives » | Everything just sucks » | I want a name when I lose » | Night turns black 'cause it's rotten » | I found that essence rare » | A lack of uniforms » | False advertising » | Suddenly I'm glad I don't own it yet » | "You have no imagination whatsoever" » | Honey, you're a prize and I'm a catch » 

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 

Structure

Via Warren Ellis:

...matter is not distributed uniformly throughout space but is instead arranged in an intricate “cosmic web” of filaments and walls surrounding bubble-like voids... When the Universe is considered as a whole, this distribution has a similar appearance to a spider’s web or the neural network of the brain.

Amazingly cool and kind of spooky at the same time.

Fractals and fractal-like structures are very common in nature, so it wouldn't surprise me if the whole universe were a fractal, or at least somewhat like one.

It wouldn't surprise me either, but I would find it cool/spooky.

Hey, this is pretty much exactly what my friend Duncan studies! If you have any further curiosity, I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions...

Well, one question that springs to mind is what he thinks of this theory. I'd love to have some feedback from someone who actually does this stuff.

I'll e-mail him the article and see what he says...

My friend Ellen is actually really into chaos and fractals as well; she's kinda thinking of doing grad work in that area. I'll send her a link to this blog post.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates